Lots Done but Nothing Finished

Interesting how hours and hours of progress can be made on several designs yet no finished product to show for it!


The stem design for the Walking Stick Palm,


Wire gauge testing Walking Stick Palm leaf designs: 26gge using a 4/0 hook, 26 gge using a 6/0 hook, 24gge using a 7/0 hook. Each change creates slightly different drape, a slightly different size for each leaf.


Recording each iteration,


After enough green, green, green rainforest designing for the week, I chose the Calabao flower next. The Green-spotted Triangle Butterfly larvae choose this small shrub and vine as a favorite in which to snack.


This lonely Round Loom has been rattling around with my skeins of yarn so I had the idea of creating more tree limbs with its shape. It seems to take quite forever to make much progress and more wire to create the same distance if it was crocheted. I’ll definitely finish this experiment to be sure when I take it off the loom but it’s not looking like a time or cost effective way for me to complete a rainforest tree.


This poor chrysalis has been steadfastly clinging to the bright south side of a neighbors fence for over 6 months. After baking in the sun and being shaken by typhoons the caterpillar inside must not have survived. I’ve rescued him as reference material for my installation project.


On Friday, my rainforest floor arrived! A big box with a couple yards of rug hooking material and several skeins of super fun, chunky and boucle yarns. So much done but so much more to go before the project is completed.

Still keeping track of the time via HoursTracker: I have put in over 200 hours of work into the project so far. Much of the Research & Development completed in this posting was placed under construction hours instead of R& D. The point is the hours have been recorded and continue to be tallied.

Follow my day to day progress on Instagram: StudioDeanna

Weather Vessel

Crochet work involves a lot of sitting, which leads to thinking, which inevitably leads to trouble. The deep shattering realization that there are no pink butterflies eventually brought me around to what will I do when I have finished the Butterfly Flight Prep installation piece?


This trouble had me creating this multicolored vessel as step one in my experiment to take my colored copper wire crochet sculpture work outside.

A nice little piece measuring 9cm x 10cm x 8cm (2 1/2″ x 4″ x 3 1/4″)

Of course, the first question is how well will it hold up to the weather long term? Then comes, How fast will the colors fade in the sunlight? And How soon will the color coating start peeling?


Now is the perfect time to let this piece ferment in the sun & rain for a few months.

Each layer of color is it’s own experiment. Starting with the large 20 gauge fuscia colored copper wire. It is a destash piece from my earliest experiments and suffered a bit of chipped paint from the pliers I used.

The next row of light blue is a colored copper wire that has a thin layer of silver plating before the light blue color was added. Copper is too dark of a metal for manufacturers to provide light colors without some kind of treatment. In this case, silver so this row is likely to react a bit differently than the other rows of simply colored copper wire.


The row of Purple is colored aluminum wire so that may react differently than the other rows also.

The remaining rows are simply various colors and wire gauges to check for sun fading or other concerns I hadn’t thought of.


To see my day to day art progress, follow me on Instagram: Studio Deanna

Studio Progress Report – Oct 10

It’s been a busy week in my studio. Quite a few hours continuing my lepidoptera and biology research. A few hours sketching, a few hours of construction, a few hours re-organizing the studio all add up to a lot of hours!

Zebra Wire Order

┬áMy order of Zebra Wire, colored copper wire arrived – Half of a rainforest in a box!

A design sketch has slowly been coming together as I gather information on the butterflies. It’s a sketch that only a mother could love and I can read. Thankfully it’s more about placement and arrangement than the final look. It’s supposed to be a view from the top but considering my poor drawing skills this is about it. A fat stream gurgling through the middle won’t really be that wide.

Butterfly Garden Overhead Sketch

I did a sad sketch with colored pencil of the Spur Mahogany with it’s planned epiphytes, but it’s another one that simply demonstrates my inability to draw 2D work from the 3D visions I have floating in my head.

The yarn dyer in Australia to which I have placed a special order has begun working and sending updates! I’m so excited to see the steps she is taking to help bring my project to life. I am hoping to post them in the near future.

This Tropical Butterfly Garden art installation project really needs a good name. It isn’t really a garden so much anymore but has grown into a lovely rainforest environment.

HoursTracker – Still checking in using this app to find out how long it is taking to create this butterfly installation. There are a lot of little minutes in various areas such as when my colored copper wire order arrived. It only took about 10 minutes to check that each item I ordered has arrived in good condition but each of these little 10 minute items will add up to a lot of hours over the several months.

Hours of Research & Development: 20 hours of testing butterfly designs, researching lepidoptera and their favorite rainforest plants, ordering & checking in of supplies

Hours of Marketing: 1 hour 30 minutes

Hours of Construction: 3 hours 10 minutes making a lot of little Euodia flowers

For the week of Sept 29 – Oct 5: 24 hours 40 mins

A lot of work done, a lot of work to go…

To receive little updates, more often, follow me on Instagram: StudioDeanna